Monday, May 21, 2012

Hulk: Red and Green Review

Hulk: Red and Green by Jeph Loeb

Until i read this book, I had never read the Hulk before. So with nothing else to compare it to, it's a bit hard to rate this comic. It certainly held my attention, and i was able to finish it in around an hour. Those are both points in which I will praise this book. I will also give it points for embracing the rest of the Marvel universe. There were certainly plenty of characters that made guest appearances. Some of which, I was left wondering who in the heck they were. Maybe that just shows how little I truly know about the comic book universe.
Jeph Loeb wrote this book, and if there's anything I'm certain of, it's that he knows what he's talking about. If he portrays any character at all, you can be sure they are accurately depicted. In that sense, I learned a little more about comic books by reading this book. I am now aware of at least three super heroes that I did not know about before.

On the other side of the spectrum, this book is kind of all over the place. It seems to be going somewhere with the story, but to be honest, it ends before you get any real resolution. It leaves you hanging on some crucial plot points, which for me is kind of annoying. Apparently there are 3 volumes, and this is the second (I discovered this upon a quick Google search). It is unfortunate that the volume number is not indicated anywhere on the cover. Loeb leaves it up to the reader to do some research. Good news for you, I just did all the research for you.

Volume 1: Red Hulk
Volume 2: Red and Green
Volume 3: Hulk No More

I wish I could say that we had all the volumes in this series. For now, number 2 is what you are stuck with. It has its redeeming qualities though, and if you have an hour to spare, it might be worth flipping through.

No comments:

Post a Comment